• President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to "substantially" reduce upcoming combined U.S.-South Korea military exercises, a move aimed at reviving nuclear diplomacy with North Korea.
  • The president cited the costs of the drills and Seoul's refusal to assist with U.S. policy on Iran denuclearization as reasons, according to multiple reports.
  • Critics warn that scaling back drills could weaken deterrence just as North Korea expands its nuclear and missile capabilities.

A Conciliatory Gesture

President Trump has directed the Pentagon to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea, according to people familiar with the matter. The order comes just as the drills were set to begin this week, and it was presented as part of Trump's personal rapport with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Trump called the exercises costly and said they "send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile" to North Korea.

"We're trying to save money and we don't want to be hostile," Trump told reporters on Thursday. "Our relationship with Kim is very good, and I think this will help."

The decision aligns with Trump's long-standing view that the exercises are provocative and expensive. However, South Korea's recent refusal to cooperate with U.S. actions related to Iran's nuclear program may have accelerated the move, according to multiple outlets.

Deterrence Concerns

The reduction in military exercises raises questions about the strength of the U.S.-South Korea alliance and deterrence against North Korea. Critics argue that the North has significantly expanded its nuclear arsenal and missile capabilities, aided by Russia and China, and that scaling back drills could embolden Pyongyang.

"This is a risky move that could undermine the readiness of our forces and send a mixed signal to allies," said a former defense official who asked not to be named.

The scale of the reduction remains unclear, and South Korean officials have sought clarification from the Pentagon. U.S. military commanders in the region were reportedly caught off guard by the order.

Diplomatic Hopes

Kim Jong Un has so far rejected Trump's outreach, demanding that the United States recognize North Korea as a nuclear state. Still, Trump remains optimistic that his personal touch can bring Kim back to the table.

"We'll see what happens. He knows I'm serious about peace," Trump said.

No immediate comment was available from the North Korean mission to the United Nations. The U.S. State Department referred questions to the Pentagon, which declined to provide details beyond confirming that exercises would be adjusted.

Looking Ahead

The immediate test will be whether the reduced drills still provide adequate readiness and whether Seoul and other allies view this as a weakening of deterrence. North Korea has continued missile tests in recent weeks, signaling that it may be less interested in negotiations.

As the situation develops, the Trump administration appears willing to make concessions to jump-start dialogue, but the risk of appearing weak remains a concern for many in Washington and Seoul.