- A senior Board of Peace (BoP) official signals that Israelis are willing to engage with the plan.
- The plan remains operative despite ongoing disputes over Hamas disarmament and Gaza reconstruction funding.
- Key watchpoints include verifiable disarmament, aid delivery, and regional diplomacy.
Fragile Prospects
A senior official from the Board of Peace, the initiative led by former U.S. President Donald Trump, expressed cautious optimism on Thursday, stating that "Israelis are going to give this a chance," according to a person familiar with the matter. The comment comes amid fragile negotiations over the plan's core components: Hamas disarmament, Gaza reconstruction funding, and humanitarian aid oversight.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive talks, emphasized that the plan remains "operative" and that discussions with Israeli counterparts are ongoing. However, the optimism is tempered by the hardline stance of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has insisted that any Israeli withdrawal from Gaza must wait until Hamas disarms, a condition that has complicated implementation.
"The plan is alive, but the roadmap is bumpy," the official added, pointing to the need for "verifiable progress" on disarmament before major funding flows can begin. The BoP has proposed a mechanism for international oversight of reconstruction funds, but details remain unresolved.
Efforts to secure a breakthrough have hit a snag, with Israeli security officials voicing concerns about Hamas's commitment to disarmament. Without a deal, the fragile ceasefire could unravel, risking a return to hostilities that have devastated Gaza's already crippled economy.
The BoP's proposal, unveiled earlier this year, envisions a phased withdrawal of Israeli forces, a parallel disarmament process, and a multi-billion-dollar reconstruction package. Funding would be channeled through the Board, with oversight from Egypt, Qatar, and Turkey, all of which have been involved in regional diplomacy.
"We're in constant contact with our partners," the official said, noting that Egyptian and Qatari mediators have pressed both sides to stay at the table. "The window is open, but it's closing."
Meanwhile, humanitarian aid delivery under BoP oversight has continued, though at a pace slower than anticipated. The official acknowledged "logistical hurdles" but said that "the infrastructure is being built."
Analysts say the implications extend beyond Gaza. A successful implementation could reset U.S. policy in the region, offering a template for future initiatives. But the hurdles are significant: Hamas's political wing remains recalcitrant, and Netanyahu's coalition faces domestic pressure not to appear weak on security.
The BoP official remained defiant, saying: "We've seen skepticism before. But the Israelis are pragmatic. They know that without a plan, the alternative is chaos."
Reached for comment, the Israeli Prime Minister's office did not respond to inquiries. Hamas officials could not be reached.
This is not the first time confidence has been expressed in the plan, but the situation remains fluid. As one regional diplomat put it, "The votes are not in yet."